Hope for Life

The silence here at night is deafening. Once in awhile a child screams out in pain and I am numb to it. There was a time I would have cringed at that sound, my heart would have ached for them. Not now. Now I think 'thank god that child has the strength to scream, the energy is there, they are alive.' Alive...not well, but alive. I took too much for granted, now I need hope for life. Stay strong little man...you are my hero.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011


Ayzac's surgery went ahead on the 14nth as scheduled and he bounced back remarkably fast from that but (always a but) while there they found a staph infection in his VAD line and started treatment for that right away. The VAD is filled with antibiotics and those are kept there for 10 days and then after it's cleaned out a couple day they can retest the line. The infection did not enter his bloodstream and did not interfere (obviously) with his surgery.

He was released from hospital on the 22nd but they wanted him to stick close to the area, just in case some unforeseen complication from the surgery happened, but it didn't. This worked out well as his GGMa and GGpa Ashton, Along with his Great Aunt and Uncle and their children came from Alberta to Vancouver to meet him and get to know him better at that time. It was nice to visit everyone and Ayzac was in GREAT spirits!!!

Unbeknownst to us, something sinister was growing inside Krystal and Ayzac at that time. Everyone returned home and Krystal got sick first, going down hard and down for the count. Ayzac started to also come down with symptoms and on the 27nth he was lethargic, coughing and throwing up constantly; because of his kidney issues, Ayzac dehydrates quickly and without much warning so we decided he needed fluids and he was off to 100 Mile Hospital.

After starting fluids and getting results of blood-work, it was decided Ayzac needed to return to Children's, and they were sent to 108 Mile airport and were off in a leer jet (a 25 minute flight in those things). Krystal had just enough to time to drive home and quickly pack but given they were only home 2 days and off again plus she was sick, she was barely unpacked from the last trip! Children's has determined that they are fighting Influenza Type 3 and that Ayzac also has RSV. They said it was likely caught in the hospital during their last stay, as it's making the rounds at Children's and show's markers of being caught at an institution like that as opposed to what we pass around to each other every flu season.

At first Ayzac needed alot of oxygen to keep his saturation levels up (a litre that was reduced to a quarter litre) but now only needs it when he is sleeping. They have been taking chest X-rays to make sure he isn't developing pneumonia and on one of those films, the doctor noticed his heart is enlarged. This could be for two reasons, one being better than the other; it could be his lungs aren't drawing enough and the heart is working harder due to his illness which is what we are hoping for and the other is that his mito and blood pressure issues are now affecting his heart which is NOT what we are hoping for.

Ayzac had an echo-cardiogram yesterday for which we are still awaiting results that may tell us what is happening. We appreciate all of the love and support being sent their way and hope we have a positive update for you later!


No comments:

Post a Comment